Free shipping on all $50+ U.S. orders and free returns on full-size U.S. orders.
Journal / Beauty Tips
How To Fade Acne Scars, Naturally
We’ve all been there. Your blemish has finally disappeared, but now a red, pink or brown mark has been left in its place. While these spots can be especially frustrating to deal with - and even seem to last months at end - there is hope! Fading acne scars or marks is possible with a little patience and a few targeted products.
And we’ll let you in on a little secret: it’s not as hard as you may think.
We turned to our VP of Research & Development, Cara Bondi, to get the inside scoop on how to handle these marks and scars, from prevention to treatment. Read on for our step-by-step guide:
Step 1: Identify The Problem
Let’s start with the good news. Most of what people think is acne scarring really isn’t - it’s actually just hyperpigmentation or erythema (superficial red or brown spots on the skin).
These areas of discoloration are not permanent. The cause of these pesky, post-pimple spots? This is typically from an overproduction of pigment due to inflammation. While these spots may be discouraging at first, they will fade on their own in 3-6 months. There are also ways you can speed up this process naturally (read on below).
That said, true acne scars are a bit of a different story. Scars, which are either ‘craters’ or raised, are permanent and difficult to treat without more intense procedures from a dermatologist (like laser). However, there are ways to harness the power of natural ingredients to drastically improve the look and feel of atrophic scars (the crater type).
Step 2: Targeted Treatments
Concentrated Brightening Essence + Concentrated Brightening Serum
This powerhouse brightening duo is your secret weapon for fading acne marks or scars. Use Concentrated Brightening Essence before using Concentrated Brightening Serum to truly target any dark spots or uneven skin. This blend of targeted technology takes a triple-action approach to fighting each stage of the hyperpigmentation process, by helping to inhibit the passage of melanin to the surface, while boosting the skin’s natural ability to minimize discoloration and visibly fade the look of existing dark spots. Key natural ingredients include:
- Madonna Lilly Stem Cells to increase cell renewal by shedding hyper-pigmented cells and decreasing the pigment in dark spots.
- Sea Fern & Norwegian Sea Kelp to decrease the skin’s pigment, as well as pigment production, to provide overall brightening and tone-correction.
Retinoic Nutrient Face Oil
Both Vitamin C and Vitamin A (Retinol) work wonders when it comes to calming, soothing, and repairing damaged skin. Luckily, our multi-tasking Retinoic Nutrient Face Oil is powered with natural sources of both - at high concentrations for maximum results. This formula provides complete skin nourishment for healthy, radiant looking skin. Key natural ingredients include:
- Apricot Seed Oil (a natural source of Vitamin C) to brighten overall complexion, as well as contains high levels of Lycopene which works to lighten dark spots.
- Rosehip Seed Oil (a natural Retinol) to help increase cell renewal and push out cells with discolored pigments. This is also one of the most powerful sources to reduce any visible signs of aging.
Exfoliating your skin at least 1-2 times per week with a gentle exfoliant is also an essential step to remove the dead layer of skin on the surface and help to prevent new breakouts from forming. Our Regenerating Cleanser will transform your skin with both physical and enzymatic cleansing. Key natural ingredients include:
- Pomegranate Enzymes to provide physical exfoliation, which increases cell renewal to shed hyper-pigmented cells and fade spots.
- White Willow Bark (a natural BHA and source of salicylic acid) to help refine pores and clear buildup for overall healthier, glowing skin.
Hydrating Floral Essence
Just like the rest of your skin, scar tissue becomes less stretchy (and even more itchy) when it’s not properly hydrated. For acne scars in particular, use Hydrating Floral Essence as an extra boost of moisture with your morning routine - as well as anytime throughout the day. Key natural ingredient:
- Dual Weight Hyaluronic Acid infuses skin with intense hydration as well as plumping effects to smooth out scars. In fact, some dermatologists actually inject HA to plump up craters and help treat severe acne scarring.
Step 3: A Few Lifestyle Tips
Always wear sunscreen
Since scar tissue is more prone to hyperpigmentation from the sun, wearing sunscreen can help shade your new scar or mark and keep it from darkening. This will help keep your skin protected everyday and allow scars to heal. We recommend Suntegrity for all natural sun protection.
Leave your skin alone!
This isn’t news to anyone, but we feel it bears repeating: stop picking at your pimples! Seriously, picking at your blemishes leads to secondary infection or more inflammation, both of which lead to an increased risk of scarring.
And of course, treat skin with extra TLC
The best thing you can do to keep scarring at bay is to effectively treat any existing acne. A good skincare regimen is a must when combatting acne and preventing any future scarring. If you need help completing your skincare regimen, contact our Skincare Concierge to customize the perfect regimen tailored to your specific needs.